9.08.2010

Chuppahs

Tonight begins the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah. In honor of the Jewish culture, I thought it would be nice to take a look at some very beautiful chuppahs. While I'm not Jewish, I absolutely appreciate the symbolism of the chuppah to a marriage and start of a family. Many couples outside the Jewish faith are using them in their ceremonies simply because of their meaning.


If you don't know much about chuppahs, as I didn't, until doing an interfaith wedding last summer, stay tuned.


I did a little research (source) and found this:
Chuppahs are comprised of a cloth covering and 4 poles or supports to symbolize the home. The open sides represents having an open home for hospitality to friends, family and guests alike. It is empty (lacking furniture) to symbolize that the base of the home is people, not possessions. The cloth covering represents God's presence over the marriage. (There are some variations to this symbolism. This is just my interpretation.)









Happy Planning!

Stephanie

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails